Readers of PBFluids know that I have been on the uric acid is the source of hypertension and hypertensive nephropathy beat ever since Richard Johnson came to the Townsend to speak at a gout symposium. Johnson’s lecture on the link between uric acid and hypertension is the single best lecture I have ever seen.
Before that lecture I thought I was a pretty good lecturer, that lecture taught me that I was a baby. I knew nothing. If you ever get a chance to hear Dr. Johnson, move heaven and earth to hear him, he is amazing.
You can see some of my posts relating to uric acid, fructose and kidney disease here:
- DreamRCT submission: Prove the uric acid-CKD connection
- My hour long presentation on the subject for the Michigan ACP
- Use of Mendelian Randomization to determine the effect of uric acid on blood pressure
- Summary of the introduction to The Sugar Fix, Richard Johnson’s diet book
- My summary of the Goicoechea data showing the protective effect of allopurinol in CKD
- Editorial I wrote about obesity, fructose and uric acid.
- MesoAmerican Nephropathy: A New Entity. Biopsy results from the endemic area.
- Three Epidemics Across 10,000 Miles: Can We Connect the Dots? Editorial on the disease, focusing on the possibility of pesticides as the etiologic agent.
More background and a summary of the article tomorrow.