Today I did a noon conference on sodium for the neph fellows. Instead of a comprehensive sodium lecture I focused on a number of different elements and interesting aspects of hyponatremia. Mostly a deeper dive into aspects that you don’t have time to cover in standard sodium lecture.
I opened with 17 quick slides on free water clearance. These slides are old and I think I could do better. Definitely due for an update.
|Download the slides here.|
Then I used a slide deck which covers:
- mannitol as a cause of an osmolar gap and pseudohyponatremia
- glycine induced pseudohyponatremia
- a bit of data on rapid correction of sodium by hemodialysis
- exercise induced hyponatremia
- use of FeNa and FeUrea and FeUric acid to distinguish between salt depletion and SIADH
|download the slides here|