The title for the talk was dialysis for the internist and I focused on recent advances in the field of hemodialysis including:
- Plavix for fistula maturation. Doesn’t work.
- Aggrenox for graft preservation. Does work.
- HeRO grafts for patients with central venous stenosis
- Poor outcomes for nursing home patients started on dialysis
- Poor outcomes for the elderly on dialysis
- Evidence base for selecting conservative care rather than dialysis
- Early versus late start for dialysis
- Frequent hemodialysis
- APOL1 as the cause of increased risk for kidney disease among African Americans
Here is a video of me giving the lecture. I’m working on putting together a formal slidecast but the video was a WMV. What a hassle.